Date and Time in Berlin!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Late!

Wow this post is late! It's been almost five days, I think!

I have most definitely not been having the easiest time recently in Berlin. I was so very excited for the weekend trip that I am afraid my expectations far outweighed the actual experience. Well. Let's see. So on Friday I had my last class with my usual teacher and then we all went on the train to Dresden! It was a two hour train ride - which was pretty exciting!

We arrived in Dresden a little while later and from there went to our hostel. We were going to go to a biology museum but my friend was ill so I went back to the hostel with her to rest. I didn't want her to be alone and sickly so I stayed with her. I think it was the right decision. Later that night she felt much better so we all went out to dinner at a game bar!

I got to know the people on the program a lot better and I feel like it was a really good experience.

The hostel was a lovely place! The beds were unbelievably comfortable! The room was bare and white but warm and lovely. They gave us breakfast that was tasty, too!

The next morning we went on a tour of Dresden. It was reallllyyyy cool. Dresden is a beautiful place! It's extraordinarily German. It was a different kind of tour - a sightseeing tour/treasure hunt. We started at the Frauenkirche! It is one of the most famous churches in all of Dresden. We also saw the amazing organ and other things. From the Frauenkirche we went around answering trivia questions and learning about the history.

My group won. :)

Later that day we boarded the train to Prague! It was another two hour train ride to Prague. This is where things got bad. My wallet was stolen as we were getting off of the train in Prague. So I had nothing. I spent my first two hours in the Czech Republic sitting inside of a police station explaining what had happened to an officer who spoke pretty good (but certainly not perfect) English. I do have a lovely Czech Police Report though! Pretty exciting!

After it was stolen we went to the Czech hotel. It was called hotel Bella and was a really cute place. Although I was terribly upset I was happy, too, because there was a Czech TV on which we watched a western. In Czech, naturally, so I didn't understand a word.

After I "decomposed" a bit in the Czech hotel we went out to this bizarre little bar which was decorated with a startling amount of communist propaganda! I don't remember that day very well because I was rather upset...

The next day we took a tour of Prague (which was amazingly beautiful) and then took the 4 hour train ride home!

It wasn't my favorite weekend but it was very interesting and I was happy to be face to face with so much history.

Monday we met our new teacher! He's a very interesting character and the class is a lot of fun - but I feel really bad when I get an answer wrong! He's funny, though, so it's good.

Today I went to school and afterwards we went to a Museum. I got to see  Bismarck's uniform! it was really cool! I also saw the very famous portrait of Napoleon I and also of Louis XIV! Very cool!!

So! That's all there was to it! I hope the rest of the week is better, because the weekend was not that great. Losing my wallet was a big downer... But it's all right. I hope that all is well in SLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment